Q: When should I call to book a storage unit?
A: As soon as you know your moving date and unit size required. Even if you didn't call ahead of time, we can usually accomodate walk-in customers who need a unit immediately. We can also put you on our waiting list if your move-in date is far in the future.
Q: I've never used a storage facility before - can you give me some tips for making the most of my space?
A: Yes! Our storage consultants are here to help make your storage experience a pleasant one.
Here are some tips for making the most out of your storage unit:
- The heaviest boxes should go on the bottom, with lighter items stacked on top.
- All fragile and breakable items should be individually wrapped for protection. Use smaller boxes for breakable items and never stack heavier items on top of these boxes.
- Label all boxes clearly with their contents - this will make finding a particular item much easier at a later date.
- Utilize "empty space" within furniture such as cabinets, book cases, etc. Fill these voids with well labelled boxes of fragile items - the furniture will help to protect the breakables.
- Wiping oil on items such as tools, bikes, etc. will help to prevent rust while these items are in storage.
- Using large wardrobe boxes and hangers will keep stored clothing at their best.
- When storing appliances such as refrigerators and freezers, keep the doors slightly ajar to allow for air circulation. Placing an open box of baking soda inside will help to prevent unpleasant odors.
- Bulky furniture items, such as couches or mattresses can be stored "on-end" to maximize storage space. These type of upholstered items should always have a protective cover, such as a blanket or plastic sheeting.
- Items that you will need to access the most often should be stored near the front of the unit, closest to the door for easy access.
- Remember to leave a small path in the center of your unit to allow access to the items/boxes at the back of the unit.
Q: Can I store seasonal machinery, such as lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.?
A: Yes. However, make sure that all fuel is completely drained from this type of machinery. Taking these items apart will also help to maximize your storage space. Also, place a sheet of plastic or cardboard under this type of equipment or vehicle.
Q: Can I store flammable items, such as gasoline, motor oil, paint, and other chemicals in my unit?
A: No, due to the risk of combustion, we do not allow these types of items to be stored in our units.
Q: When is my rent due?
A: Rent is due each month on the date you originally moved in. For example, if you move in on May 12th your next rent payment is due on June 12th, and on the 12th of every month thereafter.Should you prefer a different date, we would be happy to accomodate you and prorate the unit to whatever date you'd like. The first month’s rent is non-refundable, whether you use the storage unit for 1 day or 30 days.
Q: When can I access my storage space or the office?
A: Standard security gate access hours are from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, 7 days a week. For business customers, we can accommodate earlier or later gate access hours.
Office hours are from 8:30am to 5:00pm from Monday to Saturday, with a closure from 12:00 to 1:00 for lunch. Penticton Self Storage is closed on Sundays.
Q: Is there a deposit?
A: No, we do not charge a deposit but we do expect the unit to be empty, clean and in good condition when you are finished with it.
Q: Can I have goods delivered to my unit?
A:Yes, we allow courier deliveries to storage units. Please contact the storage consultant at the location where you wish to have goods delivered for more information.
Q; How do I vacate my unit?
A: We request 7 days notice before vacating a storage unit. You will need to remove your lock and sign out at our office once you are done moving out. If notice has been given and you have rented the unit for longer than one month, you are eligible to have your rent prorated, and we will refund you the days not used if more than 15 days.
Q: What about insurance?
A: We do not insure the items in your storage unit. You may purchase self-storage insurance on your own or your items may be insured under your homeowners, renters or business insurance. We can also provide information regarding online storage insurance. Just ask your storage consultant at the time of rental.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us!